Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Remember House Greens



If I were in my right mind, maybe I'd have had the wherewithal to ask about my favorite Jake's Grill salad in the Portland, OR restaurant we arrived at. We were off on our first trip of summer vacation August 14th, headed toward the Oregon Coast, making a pit stop for lunch at Jake's Grill in downtown Portland. But I had the worst sleep deprivation known to man coupled with some anxiety issues related to sleep and throat spasms when I tried to fall asleep. I was on three hours of sleep and scared for my life I would never sleep again.

It was in this mindset when me and my family arrived at Jake's Grill on Sunday Brunch. We forgot about Sunday when the server handed us a Sunday Brunch menu. Neither me or my husband could find my salad on the menu (it was there under starters-mixed green salad, sorta). My husband, who tends toward pessimism, thought that meant they no longer carried it. I mean, it was three years or so since we were here last. It's possible.

Without bothering to ask our server, we took what he said as gospel and found Sunday Brunch fare to order. Me halfheartedly. It was all I could do not to keep freaking out about my lack of sleep. I wasn't even hungry, even though I should be--not having eaten a thing in the entire two-hour drive down from Seattle. My stomach, at the moment, was in knots with anxiety.

If I were hungry, I'd have ordered the Smoked Salmon Lox, Bagel and Cream Cheese selection, Traditional Eggs Benedict, Dungeness Crab and Shrimp Cake Benedict, or Grilled Bavette Steak and Eggs. The Chef's Special: Lobster and Pancetta Quiche looked good and interesting too. I never order much less see quiche on any menu, and lobster? Forget it.

But the Parmesan Rainbow Trout and Eggs caught my eye and I went with that, hoping it would do the job, fill me up, and we can get this four-day trip over with, so I could see a doctor about my sleep problem.

The trout was okay. Only okay, because I half-expected it to arrive unadorned. I didn't pay attention to the "Griddled Parmesan Crusted" part of the description, apparently. The Romesco sauce it came with had more flavor, a slightly creamy, vaguely tart flavor. The two eggs over easy were perfectly cooked but unsalted, a practice many restaurants succumb to that *sucks IMHO.

Everything was just okay, even the biscuits (with jam) my son loved. It was at Jake's Grill where he discovered what everybody else already knew about: the breakfast sandwich. He made his with scrambled eggs and bacon. No condiment. After that, he began ordering fixings for his breakfast sandwich at a lot of Oregon Coast restaurants. My son tends to prefer all his food separate, so this was a victory of sorts.

It was only after we'd finished eating and were speaking to a hostess that she told us the salad in question was available, even on Sunday Brunch. We only had to ask our server. Duh!

The salad I speak of is simply, House Greens. But they come with blue cheese and walnuts, and the most amazing vinaigrette (not Balsamic, which you can order too). All I need is this salad, their freshly baked, crispy/doughy sourdough bread and butter, and an iced tea.

Next time. Maybe next summer, when I nag my family to go to Cannon Beach, OR this time. I'm not done with the Oregon Coast.

*Always salt during cooking. Salting afterwards does little to flavor the food. You're better off not even eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment