Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mom 'n Pop Haven in Snoqualmie



The best-laid plans... Seems to be the story of my life the past few weeks. Maybe I just dislike summer and forgot.

Nevertheless, after about eight hard-fought hours of restless sleep at a hotel overnighter, I bagged on working out in the fitness center, I bagged on getting breakfast in the lobby lounge (since I got out of bed way too late), me and my family bagged on going to a nearby breakfast joint or even back to a tried-and-true diner.

Nope. We pressed on, trying to make the most of the rest of a full day off for the family, searching for a U-Pick Blueberry Farm (sorry, only on Wednesdays), winding up all the way East of Seattle in Snoqualmie, and settling for something to eat, anything we could find just so none of us would be doubled over with an empty stomach ache.

At first, I wasn't interested in trying this small, non-descript place (Snoqualmie Falls Candy Factory and Cafe--in business in the area for 14 years) my husband pointed out. The menu didn't include a Diner Breakfast or Hotel Room Service Breakfast I'd had in mind. But after finding nothing else in the small town, we went back -- heading to our car -- and went in, mostly because our son was hungry and wanted a cheeseburger. Then, my husband got a (cheese-less) burger himself.

I was holding out, hoping to drive back closer to home and to that Breakfast Diner spot. But it was a long drive back and I was really very hungry at this point. I thought having a Coke float -- nothing else appealed to me, not the grinders they offered (a Philly grinder had chili, mozzarella and cheddar cheese in it!) or the sandwiches.

After taking a bite of my husband's delicious, tender, soft burger, out of desperation, I decided to order my own, with cheese and a side of tater tots, not the potato salad, thank you. My son had his cheeseburger with a bag of Cheetos and, strangely appealing, an ice cream-less cone. The mom took my order from behind an old-fashioned-looking ice cream parlor counter and her husband prepared my burger from the see-through kitchen across the way.

Best burger ever. A lot of that was my hunger talking. But the burger was less hard, gnarly, mealy beef, and more soft, inconspicuous filler. The bun was a meal in itself, tasted freshly made, artisanal, maybe even buttered before lightly toasted, crusty like French bread on the outside, soft and flakey like a croissant on the inside.

Even better: the Candy Factory also housed in the same Cafe. My son had craved gummies all morning. There they were, along with my caramels and Ed's homemade chocolates.

No comments:

Post a Comment