Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

La Strada dolce pizza



I was at the Mukilteo Farmers Market (every Wed. 3 p.m.-7 p.m., June 1-Sept. 28) for the first time today, expecting to find fruits and vegetables, hoping to find Washington honey (in hopes of spoon-feeding it to my son regularly so he avoids allergies here). I didn't expect gourmet Italian pizza of the finest quality and probably found only in the cafes of Rome and Florence.

I didn't expect to find any food. Just produce.

Yet, the first booth I saw next to the organic meats was for hamburgers and hot dogs, then across the aisle, following my nose to the sweetest, most succulent smell ever -- calling to mind all the best pizza joints on the East Coast -- a pizza booth. But not just any pizza booth. This wasn't a carnival pizza reheated in a microwave or convection oven.

This was a wood-fired oven pizza with gourmet options, from Margherita -- which I had, to fresco giardino, pear gorgonzola, and pepperoni--at $4 a slice, $18 for a whole pizza. (Soda options include glass bottles full of Coca-Cola on ice.)



I could see myself coming back every Wednesday from now on, every summer, with my family. Pick up a pizza, enjoy it by the Waterfront overlooking the Sound, watching the ferries, James playing in the beach or the playground with other kids, go back, pick up some organic fresh produce, some fresh homemade fruit pie, pastry, artisanal breads, toffee, get a massage, and have a fantastic summer day out of it.

Why I never bothered to go the previous summers is beyond me. Lazy, stupid,... Well, I know now, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment