Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Monday, August 29, 2011

Aloo Gobi from a Soap Opera Actress



It's not often I'm inspired to make a recipe I find from a magazine. I've recreated a Campbell's soup recipe. I've wanted to recreate a Nigella Lawson strawberry muffin recipe. Otherwise, I never get around to it, or the recipe's too complicated.

Not this one. It's from Soap Opera Digest, and an Indian actress who plays Rama on ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

Shenaz Treasury's (Rama, OLTL) Aloo Gobi (Potato-Cauliflower Curry) Recipe:

2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small or medium cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. ginger, grated or finely chopped
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground garam masala
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 green chilies, whole

Heat 3 tbsp. vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and ginger in hot oil till golden brown, 5 minutes. Stir cilantro stems, green chilies and turmeric into the mix. Add tomato and continue cooking until tomatoes are softened. Add potatoes, cook and stir till potatoes are completely coated. Add cauliflower, season with cumin, coriander, garam masala, ground red pepper, and salt. Pour 2 cups water over mix, stir. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook till potatoes and cauliflower are tender but not mushy, 20 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves before serving [with rice!].


-Soap Opera Digest, Aug. 23, 2011



I love Indian food, especially vegetarian offerings like Aloo Gobi (potato and cauliflower curry). I was first introduced to Indian food by a former boyfriend back in Hawaii. He would take me to this awesome place in Honolulu where all the curries and daals and chutneys were served on this metal tray like from my high school cafeteria. Everything was so spicy and exotic. I couldn't get enough. That it was healthy and vegetarian, aided in my never ending fitness routine and six-mile daily jog.

This Aloo Gobi recipe seemed easy enough to make in my home. All I really needed was to pick up garam masala by the 1/2 teaspoonful at PCC (cheapest option; buying an entire bottle is expensive).

I actually had to pick up a whole lot more than one spice. Earlier today, I went to the Farmer's Market and PCC for most of the vegetables. The recipe didn't specify what kind of green chilies to get, so I got big serranos.



The hardest part of cooking Indian food is preparing all of the ingredients for the skillet, then, standing there making sure each one is toasted long enough in the oil with the other spices. I got the garlic and onion prepped when I realized I didn't get enough ginger. I finished chopping the other vegetables, put them in their own dishes, then went back to the store for more ginger.

I hate doing that.

I didn't use just water for the two cups liquid. I needed more flavor, if my husband was going to try some. Truth be told, I should've added chicken for him. I used a can of chicken broth then finished up the second cup with water. It still needed more salt after simmering covered for 20 minutes.



If you're a vegetarian/vegan, you would love this as is--minus the chicken broth. If you're allergic to tomatoes, use bell pepper, or even Chinese eggplant.

This is my attempt to eat better. Let's see how long this lasts.

I'm still interested in finding other Aloo Gobi recipes to try. Could be an Indian food-cooking trend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment