Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Monday, July 4, 2011

To Share for the 4th



Found out our neighborhood is having a picnic after its annual Fourth of July parade. Our son, 9, always participates in the parade on his bike but we'd never heard of a picnic before. Maybe it's new. Since I was already going to make chili (forgetting entirely about this American holiday coming up), Malia's Chili, I offered to bring it to the picnic as a covered dish to share.

Then, my husband told me a neighbor friend of James', well his dad invited us over to their house for their July 4th party and fireworks that evening. So, we'll be there too--with my Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies, which I also baked after I made the chili and had it simmering on the stove.



Malia's Chili makes a good base for chili. You can add to it or leave it basic. Tonight, I added a small can of fire-roasted green chiles. Instead of kidney beans, which I find too mealy, hard, and invasive, I used cannellini beans, some form of white bean. I had a bowl of it just now. It's not enough. Even though I inhaled three dinners at a diner earlier, I'm still hungry, so I'm going back for another bowl. Oink, oink. But this chili really is so good, so simple to prepare with simple ingredients yet so complex and deep in flavor.

Don't be haole (Mainland). Serve over rice, not crackers.



The chocolate chip cookies came out without one cookie burnt. I think I'm getting the hang of it, the baking times, turning the pans, using parchment paper, and going with my gut. For some reason the cookies are never done in the 9-11 minutes the recipe calls for, but for much longer. They won't last either.

No comments:

Post a Comment