Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Post-Fourth of July Digestive Clean-Up



You'd probably tell me to give myself a break, it's the Fourth of July holiday, everybody overindulges. But I made a promise to myself over a year ago that I wouldn't do this anymore. I would not limit the kinds of food I ate, but I would listen to my body when it screamed it was full.

It was screaming to beat the band yesterday as I bellied up to every potluck picnic barbecue buffet line, loading up way past full. I almost ate myself sick. I'm surprised, when I woke up today, that I was hungry at all.

Instead of eating breakfast as I probably should've -- All Bran, banana, zucchini muffin? -- I headed straight out the door to a nearby farmer's market to pick up the makings of my homemade guacamole, as well as other seasonal produce.



I made the guacamole. Awesome, btw. Simple too. Just make sure the avocados are fresh. I bought my mini ones for at least a dollar less than the supermarkets. Essential ingredients include cilantro, garlic or onion (I used both), lime (I used two), some chile pepper (serrano's good), salt and pepper to taste. This time I fooled around a bit with garlic-salt.

I also picked up fresh WA strawberries and Rainier cherries. I don't know why but I haven't had a really sweet strawberry since 1989 when I was at Oxnard's strawberry festival and they came in crates. Even when I went to a U-Pick Farm up north a few years ago, the strawberries needed help.

So far, I've just had coffee, some guacamole as I made it with tortilla chips, strawberries, cherries--not a lot, and, nothing else. Dinner's going to be Malia's Chili (I made more; it's even better than the last time I made it), rice, and more guac.

No comments:

Post a Comment