Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, June 26, 2011

What to do with Avocados



Just like the Dine And Dish blogger, I also prefer to eat my fresh avocados simply -- a little lemon or lime juice, satl and pepper, boom, done. Perfect for any meal, to accompany a bagel or eggs for breakfast, in a sandwich or an avocado sandwich, fish, chicken, in a turkey burger like I had yesterday.

But I liked the sound of these simple, few ingredients, even though the 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chilies were a little tough to find until I found Rotelli (the only company that makes this particular combo). I already had Costco-sized cream cheese (so much for light), lots of avocados from the farmer's market ('tis the season), way too many cucumbers, so...

The Avocado Dip recipe was sitting on my kitchen counter for two weeks before I finally broke down, got up off my lazy butt, and put it together, an hour ago. I only forgot to drain the can of diced tomatoes and green chilies. But really, what's the difference? Add cilantro next time.

My husband couldn't stop diving into the dip. He ate up all my favorite brand of tortilla chips reserved strictly for my Victoria salsa, and dived into the baked pita chips I made.

Baking pita chips is easy, just cumbersome cutting up little triangles, separating them, brushing them with your choice of olive oil flavorings. I flavored my olive oil with a Cajun seasoning powder, then brushed it on before baking in a 400-degree oven. Stay close, these suckers can burn.

My nine-year-old son ignored the dip to dive into the baked whole wheat pita chips themselves.

Next time I'm invited to a party, I'm making a huge batch of this Avocado Dip. Might be a long time. I don't have many friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment