Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Something to do with leftover Thai Basil



I have been trying to make Martha Stewart's Chicken and Basil Stir-Fry for months. Either I couldn't find the recipe, misplaced it, didn't have all the ingredients on hand, or it was always too late to make so I took the lazy way out and reverted to my usual broiled Asian chicken.

After my digestive tract paid for my last lazy broil using leftover Thai chili peppers (and I still didn't use them all!) and Thai basil, I decided once and for all to make the stir fry today.

Then, a friend of mine spontaneously invited me over for barbecue. By the time I got home at 11 p.m., I was dog-tired, had to make popcorn snack for my son, and drummed up every ounce of energy I didn't have to make this recipe. I couldn't very well let the chicken rot in the fridge for three days straight, could I? (Last night, my husband treated us to burgers and crinkly fries.)

It was a pain, but I fought through it. I forced myself to take my time and cut the bell peppers in 1/4-inch strips, keep the strips of raw chicken away from the vegetables, keep everything in their proper places in bowls, and not panic. Hard to do when I get squeamish about raw chicken.

I made one slight error. I didn't read ahead as I was cooking and had to remove half the chicken from the wok. Recipe asks to stir fry until brown 1/2 the chicken strips, take out, then finish the other 1/2. So the second half was slightly wet because I had to fish the bowl out of the sink. I also didn't stir fry the strips nearly as brown as the recipe called for--even when I did do half/half. Maybe next time, make the wok really screaming hot.

Looks and smells awesome. Too bad I can't eat it right away as the recipe says. But I'll have this and the Copper River Salmon (I found at Costco today) with salad to choose from, along with barbecue chicken leftovers, for the next few days.

That way, if I come home late and don't feel like cooking, I at least have several options to merely microwave.

I just need to figure out how to carve out time for myself to do mass weekend cooking, in between my mom obligations to keep my son occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment