Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, March 18, 2011

PBJ Bars



What to bring for snacks in the last basketball game of the season (a single-elimination Jamboree tournament) for my son and his Celtics? Sweet Pea's Kitchen to the rescue again. She recently posted her Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars recipe--adapted from Bon Appetit--and I saw how easy, simple and delicious they looked. I've never done bars before. They're new for me, a little intimidating.

For some reason I always think baking bars is kid's play, not a legitimate dessert to share like cookies (oh, I'm making ginger snaps next) or muffins. Yeah, I know I'm bizarre.



I used grape jelly, because I had it. I would've used strawberry or raspberry jam. Pops more. Probably spreads better than the glops of grape jelly. Maybe I will next time.

As I sprinkled the other half of the dough, which I had to freeze for 10 minutes (not enough time, do it longer), in grape-sized pieces over the first-half of the peanut butter batter and grape jelly, I worried I had more top-half than bottom, because the pieces were really over-full. Then the chopped peanuts. But look at Sweet Pea's picture. Looks about right.



I always worry about serving peanut butter in anything too. You know how it is with kids and peanut allergies these days. But nobody in my team piped up about any allergies, so they're having this and the gingersnaps Saturday. The bars are kind of healthy too (I almost went with homemade, baked donut holes) with the peanut butter. Grape jelly counts as a fruit, right? Eat up, boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment