Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Turkey Italian Sausage Minestrone



I used For the Love of Cooking's Minestrone with Turkey Italian Sausage as a base from which to make my own version, tonight.

As usual, I dreaded having to do it with other things to do -- getting Valentine's Day cards/treats for all 25 of my son's classmates for his party Monday, stocking up on banana chips, kim chee, and roasted nori, adding another pair of sweat pants for my son who prefers them over jeans -- but I wound up making the soup early in the evening as opposed to the usual late-night frenzy. I even had time to hang out with my son on the couch after the soup was made.

For soup, it's smart to have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go in the pot, even if it is an elaborate pain. I'm OC-D about cleaning as I go. Making this soup goes fast if you do prep. I followed most of the base recipe to the letter, except for exacting amounts of canned chicken broth (they come in 14.5 ounces per can, and Math ain't my strong suit) -- I used four, I didn't have fresh sage leaves and wasn't about to buy just one to chop so I used a little dash of the powdered sage, I used Ditalini, not Orecchiette, and I threw them in right out of the box to cook in the luscious broth...

I also threw in a Yukon gold potato, chopped, and extra carrots and celery I had left over, just for the heck of it. I always like more vegetables than less.

The Minestrone soup I made tastes like a blend between Minestrone and Clam Chowder, without the clams. Probably the addition of potatoes. It'll be perfect to buttress against the rainy, windy weather lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment