Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spicy Chicken Soup



Is it possible to feed your hunger from just smell alone? I swear that's what happened to me last night, after I made this Spicy Chicken Soup, as featured in Sweet Pea's Kitchen.

I was so hungry, but I had to finish this recipe as it was already getting way too late (10-11 p.m.). But by the time I finished it--almost to the letter, give or take the salt (which she mentions in the directions but not in the ingredient amounts)--I was full. This soup gives off a very spicy, heady scent. Must be the mix of cayenne, chili powder, garlic, onion, and jar of salsa.

The only part that was a bit of a pain was the shredding of the six poached chicken breast halves. At first, I thought I could get away with a Costco bird, thrown in after the fact. But then a crucial first step is in flavoring the poaching broth which would become -- after an hour -- stock for this soup.

My husband came home after a late-night gig toting a pork burrito. He left out a plastic bag of pickled carrots and chiles, so I threw those into the pot. Why not? They'd blend well with the jar of chunky salsa, which is loaded with pickled vegetables.

If a spoonful is any indication, we're all in for a treat for the next few days in this chilly winter. I plan on giving away lots of leftovers to my more health-conscious friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment