Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread



More baking?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But honestly, tonight's going well. After a nice family dinner together out, the husband went off to check out his musician friends at a gig and the son went promptly to bed (school night), leaving me all alone and free to create magic in the kitchen.

For some reason -- maybe the ease and simplicity of Sweet Pea's Kitchen's recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread -- it wasn't as big of an ordeal or as time-consuming (into 3 a.m.) as her Lemon Loaf was. I had all my ingredients laid out and ready, including the four, room-temperature eggs. I didn't question the inclusion of room-temperature water (sounds a bit plain, but oh well). I just put the wet ingredients together smoothly, then dutifully, carefully folded in the dry--at first in dribs and drabs, then the rest of the bowl out of a fear I'd overmix, poured into a 9x5 and a loaf pan a little larger.

As usual, I had some concern about unmolding, because I wasn't satisfied with how I greased and floured the loaf pans. The bottoms bubbled. I actually prefer going in there with a paper towel loaded with softened butter, then flouring the bejesus out of it. But this time, for ease and quickness, I used Pam cooking spray. Too much. Wrong move.

I almost paid for it when the pans wouldn't unmold after 15 minutes (five minutes longer than the 10). I used a plastic fork and then a rubber spatula to coax the sides and after almost giving up, praying to our Holy Mother (once a Catholic...), both breads came out without incident. The second one, in the 9x5 pan, had a few microscopic pockmarks, but I can live with that.

One of the pumpkin chocolate chip breads -- made with thawed roasted sugar pumpkin flesh from the holidays -- will go to a neighbor I have never met (but my husband has) who has allowed lots of playdates and sleepovers at her house between her son and mine. She also gave James daffodils to give to me to help speed my recovery from minor fibroid surgery.

The other pumpkin chocolate chip bread is for a musician friend who bought up chocolate bars to help my son's basketball fundraiser and made sure his audience at Willows Lodge on Thursday nights bought some too. I think I gave Ej and his wife Nancy a pumpkin bread before. I should really switch it up next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment