Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homemade Oreos



Myself, I hate Oreos. Blech. What's in the filling? Lard, I hear. You can have it. My husband, Eddie, will gladly take it, and several dozen more. Everybody I know, especially men, seems to love Oreos. I came across Sweet Pea's Kitchen and her recipe for Homemade Oreos. There's the same recipe (in terms of ingredients) in several different incarnations on many other food blogs, but Sweet Pea's is the best. The ingredient list may be the same, but the directions are better with her, including the goofy measurements (1/2 stick plus two tblsp? Just give me the cup!).



I didn't have a piping bag (another food blogger's suggestion), so I tried to use a Pampered Chef frosting pump. Big mistake. I couldn't squeeze enough out to save my life. I went back to Sweet Pea's recipe, where she practically suggests you simply take a ball of the filling -- butter, vegetable shortening (not lard!), powdered sugar, vanilla extract, put it in the middle of an upside-down cookie, then top that with another cookie, right-side up, press lightly. That worked out much better.



My problem, as always, is trying to figure out how big to make the chocolate cookies. I made them too big for the first two batches, more than two tablespoons. Then, for the last batch, four left, I tried to make them smaller, guesstimating the size of a real Oreo. They turned out much better but ease up on the nine minutes of baking time.

I also had trouble with the amount of filling, mostly because I had that snafu with the Pampered Chef frosting pump, abandoned it, had to make more filling, made too much, and tried to go back and refill extra, plus jumbo-sized the remaining four cookies. I'm crazy. It's the taste that counts more than the looks, right?

Be careful when you mix the dry ingredients with the butter and the one, lone egg for the dough. I'd make sure the butter was real soft and cut into pieces. All the flour and cocoa began flying out of the stand mixer even on low. I had to cover it with my body at first. Mental note: I need a plastic attachment cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment