Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Farfalle w/Sausage, Tomatoes, Cream



I've always wondered what sausage and pasta would taste like, ever since I saw Everyday Italian celebrity chef Giada de Laurentiis make her Orecchiette with Turkey Sausage and Broccoli Rabe years ago. I thought it odd and scraping the bottom of the barrel for her to use leftover pasta water to loosen up the dish if it turned out a tad too dry. Besides, I wasn't feelin' the sausage part of the recipe.

Fast forward to last night. I've been feelin' sausage (no comment) a lot more, since making turkey sausage-based soups. I think what generally scares me about sausages is I associate them with fatty pork and that burning doggie stink I always associate with breakfast sausage. Plus, they come in those casings made of some animal's stomach lining. Gross.



Good thing these sausage-based recipes leave room for turkey or chicken instead and require you to remove the casings. I had three turkey sausage links left from a previous Minestrone with Turkey Italian Sausage recipe at For the Love of Cooking. I used these, along with two more chicken Italian sausages recently bought -- to round out the pound requirement -- for Sweet Pea's Kitchen's Farfalle Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cream.

I didn't have fresh basil (except for one wilted leaf left over), but I had fresh Italian parsley, plus lots of dried. It's probably against some food law to use dried parsley in anything but screw it, I did, because I liked the greenery finishing off the Pecorino at the end.



It was weird to use some pasta water to loosen up the pasta dish, even if I could've gotten away with not using any. I also accidentally dipped my entire left hand into the bowl of blazing-hot pasta water (third degree burns!).

Tastes alright. Basic, not overly flavored. Just a comforting dish to whip out, reminiscent of penny-pinching casseroles. Speaking of... I'm of a mind to finally try Nigella Lawson's Chicken and Sausage bake. Maybe if I replace pork sausages for turkey...

No comments:

Post a Comment