Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, January 7, 2011

Mucho Burrito



I have a new obsession: Mucho Burrito. It's a new (as of two months ago) fast food Mexican joint we spotted in the fairly new Bartell's shopping plaza off Hwy 99 in Lynnwood, WA at the intersection of the gas station and Safeway.

After sending my husband in to taste-test yesterday (he loved him the tacos), I joined him for lunch today. The place was packed with regulars already, including a young mom with her toddler son in his pjs (her husband worked behind the counter, they practically live there). And no wonder. As soon as you walk in, the smells come at you with intoxicating fervor.



At first glance, it reminds me of a Mexican Subway, only better. You can make a burrito out of just about anything on their menu, from breakfast (huevos rancheros, chorizo and egg) to soup (they start with a basic vegetable broth). There are also taco salads, quesadillas, and a kids' menu to work with.

The options are fresh, deeply, fully flavored, and healthful. After feeling overwhelmed by the smell, I went with a smothered burrito: whole wheat tortilla, Pequeno (small) size, marinated, charbroiled chicken, black beans, bell pepper and onion fry, chopped jalapenos and cilantro so green they almost look supernatural, sour cream, cheese, hot salsa, pico de gallo, this awesome light long-grained rice with bits of green herbs that reminded me of Indian Basmati... You pick everything out as the server goes along with you. Before smothering with this spicy red, corn and bean sauce, they put the tightly wrapped burrito under a big, heavy panini-like press.



I haven't had deeply flavored black beans like these in ages. I'll be back to try everything else on the menu. You walk away feeling like you did your stomach and your heart some good. It's good-for-you food but it's good too.

The owner spoke with us a little about starting this store up here in the middle of Lynnwood proper. He started off with a Subway, then branched into the Canadian Mucho Burrito chain. I think this is the first store outside of Canada, lucky us. He liked the heavy traffic of this area, the sturdy service of a Bartell's, the newness of the building complex, and has high hopes for future sales.

Everything is clean, neat, and everybody there is nice, friendly, and professional. Service is quick, efficient, nobody forgets your order, everybody smiles. Except maybe the new customers who immediately act like someone is out to steal their tortillas or something. Calm down. Go back for something else. Relax.

Next time, I'm getting the fish tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment