Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year (I think)



Normally, we do not eat anything special on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. But we didn't get a chance to make turkey for Thanksgiving, so we pushed turkey to Christmas, and well, prime rib to New Year's Day.

I hadn't planned on getting deathly ill the day before. All of my plans went out the window. I still don't know what is wrong with me. It could've been some stomach bug. I didn't vomit all day, but the diarrhea has been killing me. I did vomit once earlier yesterday, but honestly, this whole thing felt like I'd eaten wrong and too late the night before. An accumulation factor.



What happens with me if I don't eat all day, which I had to do because of the vomiting/diarrhea, is my stomach starts eating itself and the diarrhea worsens. So I decided to risk it and eat the feast my husband cooked up. At least this way my stomach has something substantial to work on and I can go back to regulating.

It's a shame I couldn't truly enjoy the moment. I couldn't even help him in the kitchen.

He went to so much trouble to do everything. The prime rib was his standard Tyler Florence recipe. Always a flavorful hit. Then he and my mom (thank God she's here from Hawaii to help) prepared the side dishes, way too many vegetables.



Instead of mashed potatoes, Eddie made the best roast potatoes ever which went perfectly with the boneless roast. Then, he had carrots leftover from the mirepoix he needed to flavor the roast in the oven, so he simply cooked chunks of those up with salt and pepper. His family recipe of cucumber salad and asparagus finished his end of the sides. He always thinks they're classic with beef.



My mom and I are the only ones who love brussel sprouts. She made them from the fresh ones we bought at Pike Place Market two days ago. So good. I daresay they almost overshadowed the other dishes. I could've had a mound of those with the roast potatoes and cucumber salad, and called it a night.

My mom loved it all so much she went back for thirds. And my mom doesn't eat a lot in one sitting. She admitted that she preferred this kind of holiday meal to the turkey. Food for thought for the future.

Eddie didn't have much sour cream left. He'd forgotten to check for availability the night before when stores would be open. But what we had left worked fine for the spicy horseradish sauce which kind of out-glammed the mushroom beef sauce for me.



With slight trepidation, I attacked my plate of food, ravenous from not eating a thing the day before. I am still full and okay and it's been almost an hour. We'll see. I don't expect 100 percent recovery right now. But I'm hoping--as in the past with these sorts of illnesses I've had to endure--the food in my system will recalibrate. Probably by tomorrow, I'll have righted myself.

Big lesson learned in case this wasn't stomach flu (I didn't have a fever, chills or nausea). Never eat before sleeping. If I'm hungry, only eat fruit.



It really sucks to feel unwell during the holidays, while everybody else in the world is out freely celebrating and indulging and getting things done. I hate it, really. I can't even relax enough to watch my shows on TV in bed like I look forward to.

I hope your New Year's was much better. If you hear of anyone you care about getting sick, please care more than the average self-centered idiot out there does. Do something for them. Listen to them talk about their symptoms. Bake them a cake for later. Bring them food. Take them to a doctor. Be a nurse. Something. Don't just sit there in your own little world acting like it won't happen to you, because it will and then where will you be?



Eddie's Cucumber Salad
Thinly slice peeled cucumbers. Place in big bowl. Thinly slice a red onion. Add to cucumbers. In a separate bowl, mix mayo together with a little milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano. Add mix to the onion and cucumber slices, stir together and chill in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment