Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hallelujah Beef Bell Pepper



I just wish they had a chicken version of this beef bell pepper my husband (and previously, his mom) creates. Otherwise, it's been the best meal -- rivaling that of the Christmas Day turkey and New Year's Day boneless prime rib dinners -- I've had in ages, since I came down with that weird, random stomach bug last Friday.

Maybe it's because my stomach finally leveled out today and I felt hungry for the first time. Maybe it's my not having eaten since breakfast (our son's basketball practice goes on longer than an hour now).

Most of it is this fully satiating dish, a hybrid of Chinese beef bell pepper. Eddie's used leftover rib eye, flank steak, London Broil, and now, prime rib, for the meat. Here's the recipe. It really warms the stomach on a cold winter's night.

Eddie's Beef Bell Pepper
Get a large Dutch Oven or stock pot blazing hot on the stove. Add enough oil to fry up chopped onion and garlic (about three cloves). Fry until translucent, maybe even golden. Add sliced leftover beef, fry the slices until browned. Add beef stock, three tablespoons of soy sauce, pepper, and stir up bits on the bottom of the pot. When gently simmering, mix in enough cornstarch to thicken the sauce. My husband didn't have beef stock, so he used water and beef bouillon cubes, and added a flour and canola oil roux to thicken. I suppose you could get away with water alone too.

Then, sliced onion and sliced green bell pepper. Cook on low until green bell pepper almost falls apart. Serve over bowls of steaming, hot rice. Thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment