Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Monday, December 27, 2010

Turkey Soup (with the big, fat egg noodles)



Something about just throwing vegetables in a pot of simmering stock seems wrong to me. I'm used to sauteing in butter and olive oil first, to bring out the flavors, then adding stock. But tonight, very late tonight, I had to kind of work backwards. I didn't want to dirty another pan after using up one huge metal bowl, a huge metal colander, and a stock pot for the turkey stock. Anyway, here's the turkey soup I made with homemade, after-Christmas-turkey-dinner stock (which reached half the stock pot without the bones, carcass, and veggies).

The making of the stock is easy. Throw everything in a pot, fill with water. Flavor with salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, parsley, walk away to simmer for three hours or more. It's the turning the stock into soup that's a little time-consuming, mostly because I have to figure out an economical way of draining the stock liquid from the leftover chunks, sort through the good turkey meat from the bone, carcass and fat without burning my hands, and put the turkey meat into a bowl to put into the soup, while putting the trash into a used plastic Ziploc bag. This time, I also had another receptacle, the plastic Ziploc filled with turkey slices.

I wound up just using a mini-colander with a handle to scoop out the carcass/bones/used-up veggies, to put in a large metal colander over the sink--before putting a large metal bowl underneath that to catch the stock drippings. Then sorted through each bit, putting smaller pieces of turkey meat in a small metal bowl, bigger slices from the turkey legs and such in with the slices of turkey I stored in a plastic Ziploc the previous night, turkey used for leftovers and sandwiches, and then another plastic bag for the trash. Cut my time in half.



I'm never sure whether to add noodles, rice, what size noodles or just leave it plain. I do know from past experience that potatoes don't really go texturally with old-fashioned turkey soup. If I have to, just one Yukon my husband saved for me. I was torn between medium-sized egg noodles and the little teeny ones. I went with the medium-sized in the end. And I'm glad I did. It looks legit.

My husband came home late from a gig and had a chance to taste-test. He said it only needed salt, because the turkey he roasted did. I added some salt, garlic-salt, and a little loose chicken bouillon.

Most people I know don't salt the turkey soup enough. So it's better to under-salt and they can add if they like. The stock is magic, turning water into soup and it feels like I'm cheating someone out of something very valuable and getting it for free. Best of all, I don't waste any bit of the turkey. This was 80 percent of the reason we did turkey for Christmas, for the soup the day after. Now I have lots to freeze for when I don't have time to make turkey soup, it's ice-cold outside, and I need warming up.



I couldn't find leeks anywhere, or I'd have added those. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment