Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gingerbread Snacking Cake



The strangest part of Martha Stewart's classic gingerbread snacking cake is actually the common act of dissolving baking soda in boiling water. Otherwise, it's simply a matter of having all the ingredients sifted, measured and at the ready for mixing.

I had all mine laid out on the kitchen counter yesterday, ready for baking by early afternoon. Yet, I found myself in the family room most of the night with my family absorbed in our common activity: watching game shows on TV. Minute To Win It is insanely addictive. I'm surprised my son hasn't tried out half those everyday at home games by now.

By the time the last game show was over, it was 9:15 p.m., and I wasn't in much of a mood to tackle baking. I was only in the mood to sleep, deeply--for about a week. But I pressed forth and was rewarded by a light-as-air, moist gingery (both powdered and grated gingers) classic cake that almost floated in my mouth.

Most of the snacking cake will go to friends as part of their Christmas present (don't you wish you were my friend, too?). But I will make this again for other friends' presents and our own, as part of Christmas Day dessert. It's a keeper. Gingerbread cake is one of my all-time favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment