Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Monday, December 20, 2010

Giada's Oatmeal, Cranberry and Chocolate-Chunk Cookies, Martha's Double-Chocolate Chunk Cookies



Any variation on the oatmeal cookies--the fatter the better--is fine by me, even if it's baked by Giada de Laurentiis, who's been on my naughty list for her obsession with sugar (really, how does she not have diabetes?!). I like that these were big -- she uses an ice-cream scoop -- and contained chocolate chunks in addition to dried cranberries, old-fashioned oats, and cinnamon.

They were fairly easy to make until I got to the part where I scooped out the dough. The dough fell apart on me. I had to pack each roundful with my hand to make it stick together before plopping out onto the parchment-lined baking pans. Otherwise...



A normal person would have saved the Martha Stewart double-chocolate chunk cookies for the next morning. It wasn't as easy to make. It's Martha Stewart after all.

The part about melting the stick of butter with four ounces of coarsely chopped chocolate (I almost missed this part and put the entire eight ounces of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips in the bowl to simmer above a small pot of water). I didn't bother trying to find fancy chocolate bars to coarsely chop. Ghirardelli should be fancy enough.



Mixing very warm butter/chocolate sauce with eggs is always tricky. You don't want sweet scrambled eggs (unless you're Giada). But I tempered that by making sure I put the sugars in there first, then the eggs and vanilla. It worked. Flawless chocolate batter that doesn't have a lot of flour, so it's really delicate and dense coming out of the oven.

I made a mistake with the first batch by immediately dragging it by its parchment paper corner onto the rack and nearly had chocolate mousse, as the chocolate cookies started separating. They're almost raw-looking right off. You really need to leave them alone ON THE PAN to cool first. That's when they harden, then transfer each cooled cookie to the rack to finish cooling. Don't bother with the recipe telling you otherwise. It's Martha Stewart. She always has to over-complicate matters.

Now, I have two different kinds of cookies in my cookie jar for my family to enjoy closing in on Christmas. I will probably make more, from other recipes. Since my husband is always on the lookout for something sweet to end his day, this is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment