Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Eve Pupus, Resurrected



It's been awhile since we had our traditional family Christmas Eve pupus. We used to put out a modest spread of finger foods, just me and Eddie. It was a tradition he got from his family, where his mom would make little sandwiches, including ones with liverwurst, green olives, deviled eggs, fried hot dog chunks with mustard, bagels and lox. Okay, we may have added the bagel and lox after we married.

Anyway, because Ed got involved with a church band eight years ago and the worship pastor held a Christmas Eve party at his home right after services (to thank the musicians for sacrificing their Eve), we stopped doing it. Last Christmas we didn't do it, because we were at our son's friend's house for their annual Christmas Eve party. We'd planned on coming back home after and having our pupus as usual. But we didn't know that we'd be fed a full-on Christmas meal at the friend's house. By the time we got back home, we were stuffed.



Anyway, I was determined to have us go back to the family tradition, just the family. Who cares if the family is usually just us three. Plus, my mom visiting from Hawaii. She booked the trip last minute, so my husband had to pick her up at the airport at 6:25 in the morning. This morning. This Christmas Eve morning.

Most of us are sick with a cold, too, so that precluded us from going to any parties. No matter. We enjoyed ourselves in our casual atmosphere, hanging out in our pjs, grazing on my husband's spicy deviled eggs (I won't eat deviled eggs unless it's his), shrimp cocktail, a new addition of tempura shrimp (which I saw on a friend's Facebook wall from her Thanksgiving), another new addition of mini-crescent roll dogs, smoked oysters, crackers, Triscuits, a Hickory Farms cheddar block I picked up at Target just when I needed to pick up more cheddar anyway, stuff like that.



I didn't graze much. This cold has been wiping out what little appetite I have. But of all the appetizers in the spread, my favorite were the deviled eggs. They were the only things I could actually taste, to tell you the truth.

My mom couldn't get enough of the mini-crescent roll dogs. I must say, this is a huge favorite. When I served it for the soccer team last month, they ate it all up. Even cold.



I was planning on smearing my smoked oysters on freshly baked baguette, but all we had left was crusty, crispy fall-apart leftover Albertson's pieces. Ed was about to go to the store one more time to get the baguette, but I stopped him. All that for a tiny tin of smoked oysters, not worth it. Turned out, I didn't eat much of it anyway. Appetite sucked.

I will have a tall, cold glass of Emergen-C though.

No comments:

Post a Comment