Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Around the World Class Christmas Party



I admit I wasn't looking forward to another school function. A lot of that's because I'm fighting a cold (I'm winning, btw), which has brought on this utter fatigue. When you're utterly fatigued and sleep-deprived, you don't even feel like going to Disney World, much less lifting a finger to even turn off the lights.

I buckled down and went, bringing my assigned rice pudding (for the Denmark group my son belonged to--each group did a Power Point presentation on a country and how its people celebrated Christmas) bought from Fred Meyer. Bought, because you're no longer allowed to make your own foods to share with any school, which sucks, because home-made always beats store-bought. Although, I must say, the rice pudding was very very flavorful. I'm glad we still had one unopened container left to take back home for the holidays.



The school isn't Hawaii. So a little of the warmth and acceptance, pride and joy in diversity of cultures were lacking. Except by me. I ignored the cool stares, cliquey attitudes, and quiet stances of the other parents and just dived in, marveling out loud--mostly to myself and the children--about this dish or that, or joking to nobody in particular that my son just tried something that wasn't a dessert. He really loved the bratwurst a father made, cut up in chunks and skewered with toothpicks. He loved them so much he ate them all, leaving none for the parents when it was our turn at the buffet table. Oh well.

I did manage to have one of the last pieces of home-made (take that, you stupid schools! and your stupid rules!) chicken tamale, even though it wasn't the spicy ones (those were already eaten). A lot of the food went in a hurry. I'm surprised. The party was at 2 p.m. and we were eating by 2:30 p.m. You'd think we were all starving to death the way the kids and the adults went at it.



I was surprised that a lot of the kids helped themselves to the sushi. I was also surprised that the person bringing the sushi did not bother to put together a wasabi/soy sauce mix. Sushi isn't sushi without dipping into at least the soy sauce. By the time I got around to the table, I remedied that by putting together the mix myself. But by then, there were only a few pieces left. I enjoyed myself some sake (raw salmon) nigiri. Not bad, either. Like they ordered and bought it from a real Japanese sushi restaurant instead of a supermarket. Supermarket sushi on the Mainland is horrendous.

My son left me some Danish cookies, which I really didn't want to eat but ate anyway. I had a banana, which was supposed to be boiled for Jamaica, and a bit of orange (for China), to balance off the cookies, the Stolen, and the Yule log chocolate cake.

We ran out of time so only a few eager students had the hot cocoa. The rest of them will enjoy it tomorrow in class.



I tried hard not to miss Hawaii and the tremendously diverse, bountiful buffets that would've been on those tables. Oh, imagine if they had lumpia, musubi, and pork hash...

No comments:

Post a Comment