Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, November 12, 2010

Soccer Snacks Fall 2010: Martha Stewart's Ideal Sugar Cookies and Nestle's Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies



One of these cookie recipes fits me hand in glove. The other, well, I still haven't mastered it.

I don't know why but originally, I had set myself to baking three different types of cookies for my son's last soccer game of the season. It's my turn to bring snacks for the team, and as usual, I'm in overkill with not only three of James' favorite snacks (Cheez-Its, Goldfish crackers, SpongeBob and SuperMario fruit snacks, with Capri Sun tropical or fruit punch), but freshly baked from scratch cookies as well.



I knew for sure I'd do chocolate chip cookies. Everybody loves them and everybody especially loves my Nestle Toll House originals, not soft, puffy or mushy, but nice and crisp with a ton of chocolate chips (I like a mix of milk chocolate and semi-sweet).

Except for Colby, James' best friend from way back. He hates chocolate. For him, I was going to go with an old-fashioned oatmeal cookie. I even had a recipe using rolled oats and butterscotch chips. But after conferring with his mom about the butterscotch chips, and hearing that he really likes plain sugar cookies, I hunted around and found Martha Stewart's by accident. I did without the royal icing, opting to use sanding sugar instead.



I like that Martha Stewart's sugar cookies has real leavening in baking powder. Most of them do not. I used to wonder how they rose. Then I realized they rose very little and tasted empty, like shortbread cookies, which I don't view as a legitimate cookie.

To avoid baking until 4 in the morning today, I went ahead and prepped the sugar cookie dough the night before. Today, I rolled the first disk out in the plastic, to avoid the floury mess. It worked too, until I had to use up the leftover scrapes. I also brushed a beaten egg with whipped cream on top of all the raw cookie rounds and duckies before sprinkling the blue, yellow and red sugar crystals on top. Then baked.

I had my son and husband taste-test the sugar cookies. They were very, very crispy. One might even say they were almost verging on hard enough to crack the tooth. Almost.

Please don't rain tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment