Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, November 19, 2010

Korean Tofu Stew



My (late) maternal grandmother made the best tofu stew. She's dead now. Nobody bothered to get her recipe while she was alive, so we do without. My mom comes close, but it, too, lacks a depth of flavor only found in the rotting of ingredients that my grandmother mastered.

Korean tofu stew -- when made well -- is deeply fulfilling on a winter's day. Winters in Korea, if I recall correctly, could be brutal. The stew uses beef or clams/shrimp as a meat-base for the broth, and sometimes kim chee for the added flavor and spice.

My son and I treated ourself to a dinner out tonight, at his favorite place for Japanese food: Sushi Toyama in Everett. We normally go there for the tofu agadashi, edamame and spicy tuna roll. But this time, I noticed a new, gold menu separate from an updated fold-out black one. The gold menu contained three or four Korean dishes. The owners are Korean, serving Japanese fare--a common practice in restaurant management.

Bi Bim Bop: a bowl of rice topped with cooked vegetables, meats, spicy sauce (similar to the spice sauce they use to ferment kim chee with), and a raw egg on top. Yum. Or, what I went with because it was so cold outside, Tofu Stew flavored with clams and shrimp.

Not bad. Salty enough. A little spicy. But after a few hot slurps, eventually unfulfilling compared to my grandmother's. It just wasn't deeply flavored. At least this one had flavor. I ate until I was full (this was a small bowl too), then pushed my leftover food away, a good 3/4ths left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment