Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, November 20, 2010

End of Soccer Season Potluck



As a change of pace, we all decided we'd rather have a potluck at my home than go to a pizza place for our sons' end-of-soccer-season awards party. Usually soccer teams reserve tables several months in advance for this occasion, and usually at sub-par pizza places like Alfy's.

It was a pain in the butt trying to get my house clean, even though I had a week. Everything seemed to work against me, including the fact that my husband was in another state on a four-day gun course, my son has a natural propensity for mess, and the house seemed haunted. Every time I cleaned one room, another would get dirty, a lightbulb would shatter for no reason or my son would kick a small ball too high and knock a framed picture down to smithereens, or forget to inform me that he'd ripped a hole in a pillow, releasing tiny puffballs everywhere, in every nook and cranny.



In any event, despite not having much sleep or food, we got the cleaning done in the nick of time. Everybody came, ate their fill, and had a fun, relaxing time.

Because we have so many Filipinos in our group, the potluck was a real potluck, the kind you'd normally find only in Hawaii, where guests bring TONS of food, more food than necessary, and enough leftover food to feed a small continent several times over. A lot of parents brought more than one food item.

We snacked on the appetizers everybody brought: lumpia, two kinds--pork and ground chicken/shrimp, shrimp ceviche (to die for), vegetables and spinach dip in a bread bowl, pasta salad, potato salad, fruit bouquet, potstickers, meatballs, chips... We were so full I wasn't sure we could even eat the main courses, which we provided.



For the main courses, we had ribeye steaks which my husband seared in butter on the cast iron skillet, two different kinds of hot dogs (turkey dogs and all-beef), veggie burgers (which another parent who is a vegetarian brought), beef burgers, and tequila-lime-marinated grilled chicken. For all the meats other than the steaks, one of the dads grilled on the barbecue outside. Talk about overkill.

But somehow we managed to eat all that too, after waiting a few more hours.

I was so full on lumpia (two helpings), chicken wings, and shrimp ceviche (my favorite--three helpings, using tortilla chips as spoons), I could only have a plate of one tequila chicken with the awesome couscous.

My favorite dish turned out to be the shrimp ceviche. Dolly made it. She had the shrimp pre-cooked. Threw them in with a mixture that resembled a kind of salsa: lemon juice, avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro.



For all the work I put into getting the house in tip-top shape, I got back a thousand times more. Guests helped me clean. Raquel offered to take all the full trash bags to dispose of them. Fran went around picking up garbage, putting it all in a bag for me. Nobody really trashed the place, not even the little kids.

They also brought so much food that--if Glenn Beck is right about an oncoming food shortage due to the dollar devaluation--I won't need to worry about it for at least another six months. I won't have to go out to buy or prepare anything to eat either, what with two Thanksgivings coming up.



Best of all and not pictured here, my husband treated me to a case of Coke in Coke glass bottles with real sugar cane not corn syrup, made in Mexico. I'm happy. But I may not do this (hosting a party) again for a very long time. At least not until December. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment