Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry ala Nigella and me



I couldn't find Nigella Lawson's Nigella's Kitchen recipe for teriyaki chicken, the one where she cuts up pieces of chicken thighs, marinates them in a soy/sake/mirin/ginger marinade for 15 minutes, then stir-fries without the marinade, takes them out before fully cooked, cooks down the marinade into a syrup, then throws the chicken thighs back in for a finish, served over rice noodles and snap peas.

I already kind of make this kind of chicken. Only I don't cut mine up in pieces. I broil the filets in the oven and serve with rice and broccoli.

So what I ended up doing on this busy, busy Wednesday is making up my own marinade based on what I already had, what I could remember to buy at the store and to heck with what I forgot (the fresh ginger...next time). I just forgot to stir-fry the chicken pieces without the marinade until they were browned on the outside. I had to take them out, sort the chicken from the sauce, forgot to keep them separate, did it again, until I finally got it right. The soy helps the chicken pieces brown nicely. The marinade you must cook down (to cook out the raw chicken juices) cooks down into a nice, flavorful syrup.

I didn't need/have sake. I threw in chopped green onions with the marinade. I also served it on top of a small bowl of just-made jasmine rice, which I bought in a fancy olive-oil-shaped bottle from Food Emporium the other night for way more money than I should.

My body so craved rice with teriyaki chicken (never sweet) that I almost finished the two chopped-up chicken thighs, with another bowl of rice. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment