Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds



Nothing beats pumpkin seeds in the fall. I wish my dad and paternal grandparents were alive to get a load of me, the Korean Martha Stewart using every bit of the pumpkin for something other than carving jack 'o lanterns! Beats me how I fell into the homemade kick but I'm here and ready to party. It's been about two, three years now since I've started to take pumpkin seriously.

I'm still not a pumpkin pie buff. But I'm willing and ready to test out a variety of the latest pumpkin bread recipes, using freshly roasted pumpkin flesh (instead of canned; way better), in addition to treating myself with roasted pumpkin seeds.

I could kick myself for not going to the trouble to do this before. So many wasted pumpkins in my oblivious wake. It's really not much trouble either. There's something very soothing about spreading the oil and salt all over the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet--with my hands--while the scent of roasting sugar pumpkins fills the air in my kitchen.



I can use the roasted pumpkin seeds to decorate the tops of the pumpkin loaves, as well as snack on. I'm the only one in the household who loves pumpkin seeds anyway.

When Thanksgiving rolls round, I bust out the Martha Stewart on the turkey, using every bit for creative leftovers and the essential homemade turkey soup. If I could only figure out how to reuse the stuffing to my satisfaction.

Till then, everybody's gonna be real sick of pumpkin...

Basic Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Clean pumpkin seeds of pulp, then dry with paper towel. Lay out on baking sheet. Oil and salt, spread with hands. Meditate on life. Roast in oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Don't oversalt. Put in sealed container at room temp. Snack. Or top pumpkin breads before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment