Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rachel's Incredible Banana Pumpkin Bread



Found this recipe from a bloggable life. As usual, I fell in love with the picture, the mention of "moist," and the idea of combining bananas with pumpkin, like it was a new thing.

Mine didn't turn out so golden brown. But the five loaves I made tonight smelled great.



I kept having trouble greasing and flouring the pans. I don't know why. Normally it's a piece of...cake. I had to redo one of the pans. I mean, rewash and re-grease, and re-flour. I hate it when the flour doesn't adhere to the pan even if you put a ton of grease on it. I veered between a spray and butter with paper towel.

In the end, the loaves came out easily, a lot easier than previous times with just the greased pans.



As usual, after the first batch, I began to have second thoughts about doing a second batch. I also noticed I barely had enough sour cream left for a second batch. Plus, maybe I should do the pumpkin-Nutella recipe instead or another new one with white chocolate chips.

I also began to worry because of the large amount of flour this banana pumpkin bread recipe called for: five whole cups. I couldn't find anywhere in the recipe whether to use a stand mixer or not. But found comfort in the "Slowly add the remaining ingredients, mixing until evenly blended" part, which I did. The batter just tasted a little gluey was all.



The first three batches, strictly following the recipe, came out right, exactly as they should. I changed the second batch up a little in that I used a much-bigger loaf pan and a regular 9x5 pan, thus changing the baking times. The bigger loaf pan took forever to finish baking. The sides, when done, felt hard as a rock. Gosh, I hope these are edible and not dried out. Maybe we can toast the slices.

I'm inkling towards trying a basic, simple pumpkin loaf and sticking with that. I think I may have found it too, for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment