Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, October 15, 2010

Grazie



Complimentary bread and olive oil-garlic dip...



...and calamari fritti at Grazie in Bothell's Canyon Park were all I needed to feel full and satisfied.

This listening to my body over my mind with regard to smaller portions is really paying off and blowing my mind at the same time. My husband looked across the table at me with incredulity when I announced I was too full, almost uncomfortable full to nauseous--after only having a few bites of the fried calamari appetizer and one and a half slices of complimentary bread with olive oil for dipping.

He and I are both used to plowing through several appetizers then main courses and full-on dessert.

I came to Grazie's starving. We'd come from our son's school fund run and a dismal pasta feed c/o Cactus Jack's. The spaghetti with tomato sauce tasted of vomit to me. If the person vomiting all over my noodles had just also ingested some fruit punch. We were desperate to find redemption in a superior Italian restaurant, one that would do pasta right.

We had a choice, depending on Friday night's crowds. When we saw the long line of cars waiting just to get off 525 to the mall and Macaroni Grill, we kept driving until we hit Bothell and Grazie, a place my husband has gigged at before. It was starting to crowd too, but by only five people and a 30-minute wait. The bigger crowd arrived after we did, thank God. Or we would've kept on starving for another two hours.

In hindsight, I could've done with just the appetizer. Maybe even just a salad and the free bread. Next time, I'll have to remember that my appetite, my true appetite, has changed for the better. It's just smaller. From now on, I guess I'll have to order just one small appetizer. See what happens.

My one appetizer tonight was the best it could be. I've been on quite a fried calamari kick lately. This one came with lemon garlic aioli and basil pesto aioli, which my husband was pile-driving too, much to my dismay (selfish me) and surprise. He hates calamari, what is he doing attacking mine??

That and steamed clams in wine. They had that too as a special. I wisely went with just one dish to start. I couldn't even finish the spaghetti with tomato sauce that came as my main course, much less look at the Death by Chocolate or Tiramisu that my husband and my son ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment