Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Zucchini Chocolate Banana Breads



I still had three zucchini in the fridge. A week had elapsed and they'd still held up. Amazing. I could've fried them up with panko or made an elaborate squash casserole. But I made a batch of zucchini bread instead, from two different recipes -- Martha Stewart and For the love of cooking -- for two different friends at two different times. I also threw in a chocolate banana bread from Kirbie's Cravings for church this morning. (Maybe they'll repay me next Sunday by buying up raffle tickets for my son's soccer league. Ha.)

Oh yeah, I enticed some of my friends to ante up for those raffle tickets by offering to bake for them if they bought the most tickets. One of my friends did, so she got some of the best homemade zucchini bread money could buy. Maybe I should offer lumpia next...



I'm proud to say I used up most of the zucchini. I have about six inches left, insert joke here. I used up the three overripe bananas, too.

For one of my friends, her husband has a severely restricted diet (no chocolate, no eggs, no peanuts). I don't think eggs in baked goods count, but the zucchini bread I made (Martha Stewart) for her family only required two. I used that one from the three options, because there weren't any nuts or chocolate. Plus, hey, it's Martha Stewart, it's bound to be fancy with all that fall spice (nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon).



To spare the church a zucchini overload, I switched it up with the chocolate banana bread. This recipe was weird, with the 300 degrees and the 7x3-inch loaf pans. Mama don't use 7x3 disposable cheap loaf pans. I just used my usual 9xwhatever glass loaf pans and baked the darned things for longer, way longer, than the one hour. If I had to guess how long total, it'd be about one hour and 20 minutes. Nothing left after the service; that should tell you something.

The For the love of cooking zucchini bread took up the last granule of sugar I had. I didn't, however, have enough walnuts so I threw in some chocolate chips to make up the difference, which my other friend and her daughters will sure appreciate tomorrow morning for breakfast.

FYI: We were unaffected by the egg recall. Use Eggland's Best for all baking and for all breakfasts. Trust me. They really are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment