Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Chang's Mongolian Grill



For the past week and a half, I could've eaten nothing but Chang's Mongolian Grill. Seriously that good, that addictive, that improved from last year's renovation. Nothing in the ingredient list changed as far as I could see. The cooks still water down everything after all the trouble picking out the right sauce combination (I use everything except the oyster sauce). But somehow at the end of it all, there's a plate full of delicious goodness that almost replicates the awesomeness of the one, the original Mongolian Barbecue in Kaimuki.

That one disappeared in the '90s. It was originally in a dingy, dirty downtown Honolulu dive, before moving on up to Kaimuki. When my mom dragged me and my brother to it (I was in high school), we protested the dirty- and sweaty-looking cooks around this huge, round cast-iron-looking disk emanating the hottest heat, stewing in their own juices standing there over the food in their own sweaty little room surrounded by windows so the customers like us could stare in like they were caged animals. ...Until we had the food for ourselves. After that, we were addicted.

Nothing compared for the longest time after we moved to Seattle until we moved up more north into the suburbs, about 15 minutes away from Everett, and Chang's.

My favorite mix is the raw chicken and shrimp from the meat bar, shredded cabbage, green onion, onion and cilantro from the fresh vegetables bar, and then three ladles of soy, one ladle of everything else, hold the oyster sauce. I don't go for the noodles or the pancake wraps. Just give me a bowl of rice, and let me go to town. I can on average go to town on two helpings in the all-you-can-eat buffet, until I'm close to throwing up.

I craved this so badly last week that I made do with Panda Express drive-through. Tomorrow, I'm going to try a hybrid of it by stir-frying chicken and broccoli at home, with tons of rice.

Psst. After my period is over, I'm back on the dietary, nutritional saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment