Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna



Nothing smells like a piping hot lasagna coming out of the oven. This one puffed up and down in waves (must be the no-boil lasagna noodles) with a lovely blanket of melted, slightly burnt mozzarella. It's too bad nobody in this house is gonna wanna eat this but me. My husband's at a late-night gig and hates mushrooms, and my son wouldn't eat lasagna anything even if it was made of just mac 'n cheese.

I guess that's what friends are for.

For the Love of Cooking comes to the rescue again. I like doing her recipes. I made her Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna right after I pulled her chocolate zucchini muffins out of the oven.

When I went to buy ingredients at Albertson's, I couldn't find crimini mushrooms, but I did find button and "small Portobello." Uh, isn't Portobello fully grown criminis? Anyway, got those, decided to follow the recipe all the way and get no-boil lasagna for the first time.

I did worry whether I had to lubricate the no-boil lasagna noodles to fully cook them, but the back of the box instructions said it was okay to overlap. I had to overlap since the only baking pan I thought I had was a Pampered Chef one that's rectangular and way larger than 8x8. Turns out I do have 8x8 pans (they're square you dummy!), must've brain-fritzed thinking the size she meant was a smaller version of a rectangular one, but whatever. I made the larger pan work somehow.

The sauce. I didn't have time to make one from scratch, so I grabbed two jars of Ragu original. If I'd been at Food Emporium, I might've gone with arrabbiata from Rao's or Mario Batali's. What I ended up doing--without having to cook anything--was throw a large can of San Marzano plums whole in a bowl, squeezed them into pulp and juice, dumped one jar of Ragu, salt, pepper, powdered garlic, and called it good. I also put a layer of leftover arrabbiata sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Because I had a little extra shredded zucchini from the muffins, I threw those in on one of the layers. I must say, the finished lasagna doesn't look half bad.

I don't have to cook dinner for -- myself -- for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment