Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Leonard's Malasadas



I have always loved malasadas. Malasadas are Portuguese donuts (think fried dough shaken in a paper bag full of sugar) that are a staple in Hawaii. Growing up in Hawaii, I was able to enjoy them whenever and wherever. To tell you the truth, the only reason I went to the state fair and Punahou carnival every year was to have the malasadas.

In Hawaii, Leonard's is the #1 place to go. There are Leonard's trucks everywhere, most notably for me growing up, in the Pearl City shopping plaza where Shiro's Saimin stayed. The original Leonard's is on Kapahulu and it's always crowded with people waiting in line or sitting on the two benches out front, as piles of cars wind their way around and around waiting for the small parking lot to open.

We were lucky Friday morning (that would be July 30). We scored the last spot, ordered two dozen regular malasadas and took the boxes to Kapiolani Park to eat for breakfast.



Our son, who is skinny, only had one and was satisfied. My husband, who is not skinny, wolfed down five in a row. And I had three before I had to run to the restroom. They're so good, but they're only good fresh out of the fryer. Maybe the rest of the day if you leave them out in a zipped-up plastic bag (cockroaches and ants are the norm in the islands). Any time later than that, you lose all the sugary goodness and even a quick zap in the microwave does little to freshen it up, or change the pastey, gooey, stale texture.



When we attended my husband's 30-year high school reunion picnic at Kailua Beach Park-Lanikai side on Saturday, I saw more Leonard's boxes, the familiar pink ones with more malasadas. Unfortunately, I was so full from all that local food at the potluck -- kal bi, fried rice and noodles, teri chicken, SPAM musubi -- I couldn't eat a bite of dessert. How sick is that?



I hear other malasada shops have opened. Zippy's offers them now. Champion on S. Beretania.

So much for my plan to eat nothing but malasadas one day. I just didn't have enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment