Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Monday, August 9, 2010

Boston's North End Pizza



Bet you wanna dive headfirst into some of this (above photo), don't you? I did when we ran into some luck and extra time driving back to our Waikiki condo from Waimanalo two Tuesdays ago. We were headed for Leonard's Bakery for some malasadas to tide us over until my mom treated us to Tanaka of Tokyo teppanyaki (Ala Moana Center) dinner when my husband suddenly got the bright idea of grabbing some slices from an old favorite (back when we lived in Hawaii in the '90s), Boston's North End Pizza Bakery in Kaimuki on Waialae Ave.

Genius!

Back in those golden '90s, we were just about to give up on finding any decent East Coast-style pizza anywhere on Oahu, much less the other islands. Pizza to Hawaii at the time was Pizza Hut and frozen pizza. Then, I can't remember who discovered this place first, but Boston's popped up in Kailua. We tried it, fell in love and made it almost a weekend tradition. Because I began to suffer from a worsening case of IBS-D, every time I ate the pizza there I would have to pray I'd make it back home or make my husband wait 20 minutes for the sudden wheat and pizza grease urge, then run for the one restroom stall in either Kailua or Kaneohe.



By the time we moved to Seattle in 1996, Boston's North End Pizza Bakery was popping up everywhere else, Waikiki, Wahiawa, Aiea. We were pleasantly surprised there was a demand for it. And sad to leave.

The only basis of livable comparison I have to this pizza is the one I go to when I'm at home in Seattle--Pagliacci Pizza. No question, BNEP's is superior in every way, from the textured, chewy meal in itself crust to the tangy and naturally sweet tomato sauce, to the cheese blisters and those artery-clogging, butt-blowing orange grease spots.

Too bad they haven't figured out how to deliver at warp speed over oceans and many states separating us from that pizza goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment