Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Soup, anyone?



I saw this chicken and orzo soup recipe somewhere else. A food blogger referenced For the love of cooking's Pam for the origins. Makes sense. All of Pam's recipes are easily re-makeable, uses simple, fresh ingredients, and come out tantalizingly delicious, especially her soups. Who could forget the fanfare her Pasta e Fagioli made on a group of my friends? Or how handy and hearty her chicken with homemade noodle soup was for an ailing friend?



Like that food blogger (sorry, can't remember who it was) who referenced For the love of...'s chicken orzo soup, I, too, played with the recipe's base a little. I used leftover corn cobs from yesterday's corn on the cob to help flavor the canned chicken broth (instead of making my own from scratch, although I've done that before). I used an already-roasted whole chicken from the supermarket, instead of broiling/poaching one myself. I used the thick, gelatinous chicken juices left over in the roast chicken container to add more flavor to the broth as well, and then, I threw in a can of stewed tomatoes just for kicks.

When my soup was ready to eat, I simply pulled the corn cobs out and threw them away.



I must say, I enjoyed chopping vegetables and chicken, putting them in individual plastic containers, readying them carefully for the soup, while the rest of the world was outside blowing off firecrackers and polluting the atmosphere. (Fourth of July, for me, is only good for its buffet, and besides, I'm allergic to the fireworks.)

I took my time, utilizing the leftover carrots and celery as snacks. While the soup simmered, I also prepped the radishes I found forgotten in the fridge's bottom drawer, some Hami melon balls, put everything in their own freezer bags and then back in the fridge. Healthy, healthy.

The only difficult aspect of cooking soup is to make sure each layer is flavored with salt and pepper. There's nothing worse than dishwater soup.

The whole reason for me making this soup in the first place is all the packaged cold cuts I'd bought the week before for sandwiches that looked and tasted lonely without a hearty, hot accompaniment. This'll tide me over for the rest of the week. I reserved a large jar for a friend in need, whoever she may be.

I know it sounds crazy to be making soup in the summer. But it's not that warm here in the NW, or sunny. And I'll have soup in the middle of the freakin' desert if I want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment