Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Porterhouse for pre-Fourth of July



Happy Fourth of July! Er, the day before. The entire family helped prepare a nice feast today (for tomorrow, my husband Eddie is off and running from morning till late at night on gigs): Porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes with basil/green onion sour cream, garlic asparagus spears, and corn on the cob.



Our son James, 8, shucked the corn outside in our backyard, then went to work on snapping the asparagus spears. I finished up on the baked potatoes--microwaving them cooked first before oiling, salting, rubbing them for the oven to crisp up their skins.




Eddie performed the main course, as well as the sauteed asparagus. Over a screaming-hot cast-iron skillet, he pan-fried the steaks in butter to a medium-rare, medium-well. The asparagus was lightened up somewhat by a dash of lemon juice.


My plate!

One of corn on the cobs was white, which James thought meant it went bad. No way. I showed him that cob corn was sweeter than when cooked. He still didn't believe me and refused to try the raw white corn kernels (like candy). To his credit, he ate everything we put on his plate, except for the baked potatoes. I wouldn't let him have any more corn on the cob if he didn't clean his plate.

Normally, I'm not a clean-your-plate mom (been there, got fat over it, thanks mom and dad--you dangerous idiots!), but it's high time our picky eater son start trying out new foods, especially for such a festive occasion.

Starting out with steak ain't a bad start at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment