Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Minted Strawberry Cupcakes



Sweet, juicy strawberries from the farmstead made me muse on different ways to use this fruit (that my mom craved when she was pregnant with me) in baking. So, onto Food Gawker for some ideas. Found minted strawberry cupcakes (which looked more like muffins in the batter) from the cutest blog on the block.

After reading the recipes carefully twice (I learned my lesson the last time, rushing through), I began to put the ingredients together and the day of baking (today!). I really liked the inventive combination of strawberries with mint. The combination smelled even better in my kitchen, perfuming my entire house with sweet and refreshing. The addition of heavy cream instead of light or low-fat milk really added to the intoxicatingly decadent scent.



Even better, this recipe is simple as can be and perfectly rendered. If you follow it exactly, you'll have beautiful cupcakes. My personal twists included adding a tablespoon or so of sugar to the cut-up strawberries for more sweetness, dusting the finished cupcakes with powdered sugar. They looked so good and I had leftover strawberries, so I baked up another batch, this time with granulated sugar on top of the raw battered cupcakes. Didn't care for the opaque glaze so much. Live and learn.



I also gave a nod to Martha Stewart and Ina Garten by selecting color-compatible paper liners in shades of pink, white and blue/green plaid. Very spring and summery, too.

These'll go to church tomorrow morning and a friend. Lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment