Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thursday, July 1, 2010

El Taco Boom



We were supposed to pick up some farmer's market fruit (Fujis, strawberries, Rainier cherries) and vegetables (?), then walk a few feet over to the taco truck and get us some tacos. That was the plan anyway. I kept seeing the farmer's market for days, the hand-written signs for cheap, local nectarines and tomatoes, and the taco truck (they're everywhere) off Hwy 99/Evergreen Way. A window opened up this morning for me and the husband to head on over.

Well, the produce wasn't all that impressive. Upon closer inspection, the locally grown strawberries looked the part but rough around the edges, the corn on the cob I was hoping to buy for my son was old, with pockmarks on some of the kernels underneath rusted-out husks, from California not here, and the rest of the stuff looked suspiciously like supermarket fare, complete with a Charlie's Produce truck-van that pulled up. Frankly, the entire Mexican-run establishment seemed funky to me, as just another excuse to make a quick buck by trying to pass for an authentic Pacific Northwest farmer's market.

I've been to those. This wasn't it.

To top it off, I had to go #2 real badly and the taco truck wasn't even open. The entire area was littered with trash, too.

So we headed down the street and found ourselves at a better option, one with a restroom for me to use: El Taco Boom, which featured NY Steak Tacos for cheap. I'd passed by this small place in a small, fairly new shopping plaza, next to a crappy teriyaki joint that purported to be authentic Japanese bento (you lie!), millions of times, but never felt quite enough in the mood to try it. My husband, Eddie, had though, and he reported that it was okay.

It was more than okay. OMG, the soft taco (I chose ground beef, but they come in a wide assortment of fillings, and if you're hungry, you can order the five-taco combo plate)! Loved the greens on top, the cilantro, bits of hot jalapeno pepper, sides of lime and radish chunks. When I squeezed a little green and a little red salsa from their bottles, the whole thing was fiesta in a bite. The ground beef was fried up with some juicy spices and wet marinade, blending well with the crisp, tart, spicy greenery and salsa mix. I wanted more.



To try something new, I went with the enchilada plate, chicken. This was also incredibly flavorful, the enchilada sauce obviously simmered for hours upon hours with full depth-of-flavor ingredients, the chicken was moist and tender, the refried beans melted in my mouth like butter.



We need to go back next week for the rest of the menu. I'm eager to try their pork and NY steak tacos, and the sopes (a tostada with Mexican cheese). I wasn't even in much of a Mexican cuisine mood either. But El Taco Boom sure changed my mind in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment