Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, July 2, 2010

Downtown Everett Farmer's Market

Photo of heirloom tomatoes by Barb Sennet Wilson


We had better luck finding a real farmer's market today. Downtown Everett has a fantastic one featuring sweet, local strawberries, plump, ripe tomatoes, corn on the cob with the pale-green husks wrapped tight and young, and assorted other traditional (asparagus and green beans) and exotic (gigantic papayas and coconuts) produce for a steal. I could smell the sweetness of the strawberries, which I couldn't yesterday at that dismal market further south of Evergreen Way/Hwy 99.



Big difference too. Yesterday's crappy, non-smelling strawberries were rancid (formaldehyde) or flavorless. Not even brown sugar could help. Today's strawberries were out of this world, superior to the jumbo ones I'd pick at Everett's Biringer Farms in the '90s and equal to the ones I bought in crates down in Oxnard, CA back in 1989 at a festival.

Summer's here and farmer's markets have sprung up everywhere.



I plan on baking a cherry cake and simmering up a chicken orzo soup this weekend, so visiting the downtown Everett farmer's market (through strong word of mouth) sure came in handy. Picked up all the ingredients I needed while "Frampton Comes Alive" played through the speakers. Surreal but outta sight.

Tomorrow, we're treating ourselves to a pre-Fourth of July bash, just the family, before my husband has to go out on evening gigs. Porterhouse steaks from a Mountlake Terrace butcher, asparagus spears, potatoes and corn on the cob as accompaniment, strawberries (if they last that long) and Rainier cherries and Hami melons for dessert. Love summer in the Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment