Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Egg on a Hard Roll


Before my husband even made it over to the East Coast (for a cousin's wedding), we were plotting. Through the wonders of modern science, we can now order food from anywhere in the world and have it FED-EXed over in one day, sometimes even hours (for the filthy rich). What to bring back that wouldn't spoil and would last the flight?

Pizza? Best seconds out of the oven.
Bagels? Been there, done that.
Italian Ice? Ha ha.

Egg on a hard roll? Hmmm. The hard rolls, I mean. You can't really get the same kind of chewy texture anywhere else but in NY. So, on his last day, my husband loaded up on four or six hard rolls freshly baked from the Puerto Rican bakery in Staten Island (we used to frequent our last summer vacation). We've been eating his version of a typical NY egg on a hard roll ever since he touched down late Friday night.

When he visited a deli near his old childhood home in Babylon, Long Island, he tried their egg on a hard roll and even talked to the owner about shipping them over by FED EX. The owner said it can be done in a day if we wanted. When we run out of the hard rolls at home, we have their menu and just might do it.

Making an egg on a hard roll isn't hard. It's just an egg sandwich, really. But turned up a notch because of those special rolls. The closest to NY hard rolls comes from Food Emporium. By closest, I mean, they don't fall apart at the first bite (but maybe the third...).

His trick is adding a special sauce. As far as we know, in NY, they only put mayo on it. My husband puts together a concoction of mayo, Dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. He leaves cheese out on his. Bacon, fried egg--popped or not at the last minute. It's unbelievably good. I could wolf down about 10 of these in one sitting. But, alas, there are only two rolls left.

As a bonus, he also brought back some day-old jelly donuts, also from that bakery. Next best thing to being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment