Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, June 13, 2010



Does this look like the Melbourne sandwich I had at Wayward Coffeehouse last night? Sometimes, if the mood is right and all the planets are aligned (and I'm sick of how fat I've gotten), a certain winning dish will inspire me to seek out its ingredients and recreate the dish at home. This is what happened to me today.

At first, I tried the popular but elusive (its hours are like, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.), newly named Red Cup Cafe (formerly the Mukilteo Cafe and sold to its manager) on the way to Mukilteo's ferry. But as soon as I walked into its inviting doors, the eyeglasses-wearing waitress behind the counter nicely told me they were closed; I'd arrived 20 minutes too late to try their delicious, homey sandwiches with some deeply roasted fresh coffee. Rats.

Next stop: Food Emporium, for a bunch of items I loaded up in my mind to excuse the extra drive and cost. Cream for my morning coffee, we're out of bagels, need those, oh and maybe I can recreate the sandwich this girl made me from last night. For the only person behind the counter of the Wayward, she did an outstanding job taking all our hundreds of orders and churning the drinks and food out in record time with only one mini-toaster oven and a microwave. I locked in on the Melbourne because I liked avocado (avocado spread, which was so full of flavor and with just the perfect amount of salt), I liked cheddar cheese, and I liked how spare but healthy the non-meat filling was. The only added ingredients were fresh from an organic farm, lettuce and tomato--all on a warmed roll (ciabatta roll), crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.



I couldn't find ciabatta rolls (they're at PCC) so I found one, last large ciabatta and figured I could cut it to size. I didn't make a spread but I squeezed lemon and flecked some olive oil, salt and pepper over the sliced avocado. It's not bad. I just need to flavor the avocado better because it's still not quite as full-bodied, meaty and intense as the Wayward's. I paired my sandwich with a tall green tea latte.

Both versions fall apart when you take bites, though, filling falling out everywhere.

I think I'm going on this pseudo-health kick for awhile. See where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment