Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Friday, May 14, 2010

tomato soup comfort



Last week, I began jonesing severely for tomato soup. I didn't care where it came from or if I had to make it myself. I didn't even care if I resorted to Campbell's sickly-sweet tomato soup.

Tomato soup from any supermarket is always sweet to some extent. I first tried one from Albertson's near our home. Not bad, especially before bedtime with baguette slices. The next day, it was Edmonds, WA's QFC and its fancy gorgonzola tomato soup. Still sweet, gorgonzola barely detectable. If I didn't know better, I would've sworn it was the same soup--just with different labels. Both bowls hit the spot, especially with several shakes of Tabasco sauce.

Well, tonight, I put together my own tomato soup--working from Giada de Laurentiis' "Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary" recipe and one I'd put together after loving myself on Madison Cafe's, which no longer exists. The West Seattle cafe was the venue for Marit Peters and her band back in the day (my husband was her keyboard player). I would go, order the tomato soup and be in heaven. It wasn't sweet at all, but spicy. One of the waitresses rattled off a list of ingredients (garlic, Anaheim chiles, Asiago cheese grated fine, stewed tomatoes, cream, chicken stock) to me. Then, several weeks after, the place closed down.

I wished I had the time to make the soup on Monday. But I didn't. So it fell on me to do it today, after I baked a chocolate cake for my son's school carnival cakewalk and before I made frosting for that cake.

I included a lot of Giada's ingredients, like carrots, cannellini beans, and a can of crushed tomatoes, even pureed it with my Braun hand blender. But left out the bay leaf, rosemary, lemon zest and fancy, expensive creme fraiche (why bother? there's cream in Madison's recipe).

I've got it simmering on the stove right now, with some leftover, crusty Macrina Bakery bread warming in the oven. It's gonna be so soothing tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment