Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sushi Toyama



There's one dish at Everett, WA's Toyama Sushi I would eat all the time without fail. It's their tofu agadashi, fried little tofu cubes, topped with slivered nori (seaweed) in a mild soy broth.

But every time I go there, I guilt myself into ordering a real meal -- the tofu agadashi is an appetizer -- with it. Then, I kick myself in the butt for giving in to senseless guilt. I go home and weeks pass. I forget. Go back, do the exact same thing.

Today wasn't any exception.



After my son had another great soccer game, scoring three points in succession, his team winning again (8-7), we both wanted to have our Toyama. His go-to meal is something my mom got him hooked on at a young age: miso soup minus the green onion, with a bowl of rice dumped in (to help cool off the hot temp). He had that with edamame (salted soy beans), which he gagged on the first three times he tried it. The fourth time, he was a goner. Loves it almost as much as I do.

I order my tofu agadashi. I didn't have to elaborate on amounts. The waitress knows our entire family, always asks about my mom living in Hawaii, and usually has our orders on the table before we have a chance to crack open the menu. She brought me a large bowl full of the stuff, about two orders combined. I should've added one more, and been done with it.



But guilt took over, and I added two pieces of sake (salmon) and a spicy tuna roll. For some reason lately, Toyama's sushi rice has tasted stale, as if it's sat out for two days.

We finished off with two orders of green tea ice cream, which I ended up eating myself, since James only ate the sliced maraschino cherries off the tops and never bothered letting me know he was already too full for dessert. No matter. Green tea (and coconut) are my favorite ice cream flavors.

The tab came to $49. Had I stuck with the tofu agadashi and left out the ice cream, the bill would've been only $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment