Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Paula Deen's and Eddie's Pot Roast



What a happy, happy accident and happy day. About a week and a half ago, I know--way too late for Mother's Day, I tried to make Sunday Brunch reservations. All booked up.

Instead of cursing the goose-stepping populace who book these sorts of special occasions months in advance, I went a different way. While most people celebrate Mother's Day with a Mother's Day Brunch at some fancy hotel, we'll celebrate with my cheffy husband making me pot roast and Bananas Foster.

The pot roast idea just came to me, and we ran with it. I was in a comfort food mood and Eddie's good at comfort food featuring beef, like my November birthday beef stew. He did make pot roast before, a few years ago, and it turned out wonderfully.

His issue wit pot roast is, no tomatoes. No tomato sauce. No tomato paste. No tomato chunks. So he had to bypass all the starter base recipes from Food Network's Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence and Alton Brown. He settled on Paula Deen's down-home pot roast, featuring everyday pantry items like cream of mushroom soup and some red wine.



Let me tell you, the cream of mushroom soup and slow-cooking it in the oven for hours and hours really did the trick. The Chuck roast was so tender, pieces of it practically melted in my mouth. A lot of people just slice the pot roast before serving. Eddie tore it into shreds, which made more sense to me since slicing it would've just made the entire thing disintegrate.

At the last minute, he noticed the leftover buttered egg noodles I'd made for our son the past two days--just sitting there in the fridge. After microwaving the entire plastic container's worth, he used the noodles as the perfect foundation to hold the pot roast and all that luscious creamy gravy.

It was the best pot roast I'd ever had. I wouldn't add or change anything. In fact, I may request this every Easter while the rest of you are choking down the ham and the overcooked lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment