Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Carne Asada Hang



All this week I kept hearing about Cinco de Mayo and Carne Asada. All I know about either is that it's Mexican and it's some sort of flank steak, grilled with spices and sliced thin for a burrito.

We spent most of the late-afternoon to evening at our friends' lake house, talking about everything and nothing, sipping Menage a Trois red wine (the women) and the hard stuff (the men), and putting together our individual burritos together from the buffet-style fixings on the kitchen counter.

A little sauteed bell pepper and onions. A little sliced carne asada freshened up and charred on the grill on the back deck overlooking a gorgeous, sun-kissed lake. A little of the guac I made, a little of the pico de gallo my husband threw together before we left our house several hours earlier. Some shredded cheese, some sour cream, some lightly seasoned shrimp (another Costco find).

It was amazing to find such delicious carne asada that came from a package. It tasted like scratch, with homemade marinade and spices. In between making burritos, I snuck one or two chunks from the cutting board to pop in my mouth and give to our friends' cute dog, Rudy. The marinade/spices seemed to include soy sauce in flavor.

I should've been content with one large surf 'n turf burrito with a side of tortilla chips and my guac. But I went in for a second and barely made a dent. I'll be having some either tomorrow for breakfast or Monday. Better Monday. Tomorrow's my at-home Mother's Day feast of pot roast and Bananas Foster.

To finish off the side-splitting meal, we all had strong coffee and heart-shaped shortbread cookies half covered in chocolate. For some reason, we had plenty of room for sweets. Had it been another burrito, we'd have all exploded in unison.

I like this kind of full. And I'm going to Costco in the near-future to hunt down the packages of ready-made carne asada, shrimp and uncooked flour tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment