Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Campbell's Kitchen Creamy Chicken Enchiladas


I was riffling through a People magazine the other week, searching desperately for a picture of a chocolate cake for my son's school carnival cakewalk (long story--I never found one until days after, upstairs in my bathroom, in an old Costco recipe book)... when I came across this Campbell's recipe for creamy chicken enchiladas, using their cream of chicken soup. Cream of chicken soup, Pace Picante Sauce and sour cream, mixed in with chopped chicken, eh? Sounds infinitely doable, especially if I substitute store-bought roast chicken. It's not authentic, but neither is my authentic Mexican enchilada. I use a can of enchilada sauce as opposed to brewing up mole from scratch.


I loathe flour tortillas, so I used corn tortillas (the white ones) instead. I remembered Rick Bayless's PBS cooking show, "Mexico One Plate At A Time", where he advised the proper, quick method of softening corn tortillas to make them more pliable for rolling into enchiladas. Get two paper towels, connected together, put a little water over it, squeeze water out, separate each tortilla and put them in the stack you need, wrap with the damp paper towel, stick into a microwave, and nuke for about a minute. Works every time. Worked for me tonight.


The recipe also does not call for topping the enchiladas with any cheese before popping into the oven. It calls for no topping at all, really. But I ignored that and added shredded cheddar and chopped cilantro. It was then that I realized I'd bought the low-fat shredded cheese mix from Albertson's. Dang the food police; they're everywhere. You can't get regular anything anymore, especially in the dairy case. I'm constantly having to pick through jar after container after bag, reading the fine prints to make sure it's not non-fat, low-salt, low-fat, no-flavor.


I was tempted to leave out the chopped tomato and green onion at the end, after it baked. I'm glad I didn't. The topping gives fresh, light flavor to the creamy, heavy enchiladas. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the other enchilada variations out there using Campbell's soups. There's a green chile enchilada recipe I've got my eye on.

This is one of the easiest recipes ever. I'm a fan. Easy to put together, easy to put away. I ate about half the friggin' pan when all was said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment