Let's eat!

Hi. My name's Carol, and I love food. No, you don't understand. I love food. If I were on the Titanic, I'd be in the galley (kitchen) eating up the chocolate pudding and the roasted quail. I go to most events, activities and parties just for the food. The company and the conversation are secondary. Here, I'll try to document everything that goes into my mouth. Aren't we excited? Oh, hey, are you gonna eat that?

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Breakfast Loaves For Staff Appreciation



When I was going to school, I never had Staff Appreciation Week. It's practically a major holiday nowadays, with kids pressured to bring their teachers flowers, kids' parents pressured to volunteer time and baked goods. I'm doing my part for my kid's school, mostly because it's an excuse to bake.

Immediately, I saw and signed up to bring pumpkin and banana breads to the Monday breakfast. Besides chocolate chip cookies, these breads I can do half-asleep.

The pumpkin bread is a Starbucks clone, with variations everywhere online. The recipe's surprisingly bereft of spices. But I threw in some anyway, as well as leftover mashed bananas. I also made sure to remember to top the pumpkin batter with pumpkin seeds, which I always forgot before. These were seasoned with sea salt, cumin and cayenne. I know, I know. Cayenne and cumin with a sweet bread? Just go with it. I couldn't find any regular packages of pumpkin seeds, and I wasn't in the mood to traipse around town for options.

The banana bread is from the Kona Inn, which I've made before to wild applause. Banana and mango bread are huge gestures of aloha in Hawaii, where I spent my formative years. To make my banana bread more Hawaiian, I added chopped macadamia nuts. Here's hoping nobody at Serene Lake Elementary's allergic.

It just so happens my favorite go-to snack for whenever I get that hunger/nausea headache is banana bread. And I could eat pumpkin bread with my Kona coffee every day of my life.

I had so many ripe bananas left, I went ahead and whipped up two batches of "In Your Face Banana Bread" from RecipeGirl.com. This is a great recipe, because it uses up as many bananas as possible (five for each loaf), and I really needed to use up all the bananas I had left (10!).

I may give them away to friends as a surprise. I may eat them all for breakfast this week. Depends on my mood, or your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment